Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Baby D Turns One

One year ago today, you woke me up with a sharp kick to the stomach. You hit me so hard, that I got up to go to the bathroom, and I realized what was happening. You hadn't just kicked me. You broke my water.


I woke up Dad at about 4:30 a.m., and he called your grandma who was ready to come take care of Jameson, Truman, and Amelia. We rushed off to the hospital, excited because we knew you were coming. We checked in, and labor progressed painfully quickly. By 7 or 8, I was begging for an epidural, and the doctor showed up not long after.


A few hours later, you were ready to meet the world, and you were out in no time. Moments after you were born, I found out that you were a boy. I was a little surprised since I was convinced you were a girl. Either way, you were perfect, and I could not wait to bring you home to meet your brothers and sister.


We spent the next two days holding you, staring at you, and trying to pick your name. We knew right away that you were going to be such a good baby. You have not disappointed.


I knew you would be smothered in love from day one, and I knew I was right when everyone was far more excited to see you than Mom and Dad when we came home from the hospital. Every morning, JJ still wakes up to see if his little Darwinky is up yet. Truman and Amelia rush to Mom and Dad's bed when they wake up for a chance to be close to you and talk to you.

You are so anxious to be one of the big kids, and Mom is happy to keep you as a baby for as long as possible. Now I know why parents spoil the baby. I feel lucky to be your mom, and I can't wait to learn more about the little boy you are becoming. Before I know it, you'll be off to school (like JJ), anxious to do whatever JJ, Truman, and Amelia are doing.

Today, I just wanted to take a moment to remember how excited I was a year ago today to know that I would finally get to meet you. You have made it easy to be your mom, and you charm me every day with you big dimples, coy smiles, and happy demeanor.

Happy 1st Birthday, Baby Darwin!

No comments: