Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Long and Winding Post

When I write, I generally like to have an idea where I'm going to begin and end.  This time, I just don't know; however, it's all about the kids.  James has been making comments about how inconsistently I post, so I thought I better get another one in so I can take off another couple of weeks.

My babies are all growing up so fast.  Jameson is turning 3 in just a few months, and he is just funny.  I never know what the next crazy thing is that will come out of his mouth.  Take today, for example, he had just come home from the store with my mom and dad.  He noticed one of a couple of neighbor kids in our yard and he tells my mom, "I'm really mad. Who's in my grass? I better go find out what they want.".  My mom, of course, told him it was okay, and he couldn't just go around picking fights.  She used to tell me the same thing.  Apparently, it doesn't work.

James has also been on my case recently for "playing ha-ya" with JJ.  He came home the first time he went to see Kung Fu Panda all geared up to show off his moves.  I played along, at first, and now all he wants to do is "play ha-ya", which really just means he wants to run at you like he's going to karate chop you and have you catch him.  As with most things, JJ has carried it too far and started kicking and punching harder and harder, so now we're trying to break him of this "game".  Amanda's got a good action shot of this game on her blog.

He's been going to "school" now for about 3 months, and HE LOVES IT!  James and I love it too, except for the fact that he brings home every virus circulating.  James likes to tell me that I should just move in to the doctor's office.  We recently got over strep throat then croup - tons of fun.  Strangely, I'm getting used to having sick kids, so it's not stressing me out quite as much.  The doctor also likes to reassure me that it's good for them since it helps build their immune system.  Although I'll assure you that it's not doing much good for my sleeping.

Illnesses excepted, school has far surpassed my expectations.  Originally, I wasn't really sure if I was comfortable with the whole idea of group care, but seeing him have so much fun has helped convince me that we made the right choice.  He's going 3 days per week, and he can't get out the door fast enough on school days.  He talks about his "friends", especially Gabrielle, who is, according to his teacher, his "best bud".  She says sometimes they walk around playing games and holding hands - which I think is so cute.  His class is always doing some type of craft or project that they later send home, so it's nice to collect these little mementos.  I am a memento hoarder after all (I still have corsages from my high school dances).

Here's a picture of my maniac "getting his horns" and giving you his mean face.



Speaking of maniacs, I have two of them on my hands.  Amelia is the other.  This girl's smile just melts me, but she is just as high maintenance as JJ is and was.  A few nights ago, she was tired, and I had just gotten home after karate.  She was crying when I got home, and she was so excited to see me.  I picked her up, and started getting things ready for her shower.  I asked James for a hand.  As soon as I hand her back to him, she throws her arms down, lets out an angry scream, and starts crying.  We both just cracked up because it's very typical of her hot-n-cold personality.

She has taken to saying "da-da", and has been saying "mom" when she's desperate for me to pick her up or feed her.  She mostly like to scream and screech, and her specialty is pulling hair.  She is very close to crawling, but her waddle scoot seems to work pretty well for her.  Here she is as she wakes up most mornings - in a good mood.  Usually, within the hour, she's unhappy and crying about something.


Here is my happy baby.  I can genuinely say that Truman is an easy baby, and some days it's the only thing that saves us a lot of headaches.  He's always so happy, and he gives the biggest smiles.  Here's one of them.


James has finally accepted that Truman says "mama".  After weeks of denial, he finally cracked after he had to suffer through trying to feed him baby food while I was out as Truman cried, "mama".  He is beginning to say "dada", but his favorite is really just "blah, blah, blah" - no, not just any gibberish but "blah, blah, blah".

Truman may be easier during the day, but, oddly, he's the tougher baby in the middle of the night.  This is the one time when there is no substitute for momma.  I'm afraid I may be creating another bedtime beast like JJ, but I can't help myself.  When they cry, I crack.


Here's a couple of of twin pictures, so you can see this pair in action.  I get to see the twin connection every day, but it's much harder to share it through pictures.  We're having a great time just watching them grow together, and I love that they always have a playmate.  The twin connection goes farther than that though.  I'm not even sure I understand it, but I can see it when they are together.  It's very sweet.




Here's one last JJ picture.  I think it's all I have time for tonight.  I'm taking a risk that a baby wakes up, and I haven't even showered yet.  

Here's Jameson's newest favorite - the computer.  He knows all about Nick Jr.'s website since I've taken him to it since he was little.  Well, for the longest time, he would tell me how he wanted to watch cartoons on my computer anytime he saw me working on it.  Sometimes I would agree, but usually I would tell him that my computer is for work not play.  He never liked this answer.  Well, James took care of that for me by teaching him to use the computer himself.  This weekend he was playing games and watching videos on Nick Jr.


Don't leave me waiting here, lead me to your blog . . . (I know, bad joke, but couldn't help myself)

2 comments:

Kirst said...

Your kids are so cute, I had a great time seeing you this weekend!

Hoolie said...

Thanks! Good to see you too. It appears you're the only soul brave enough to read my long, boring posts - other than James.